Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Be Smart Be Safe

Out running this past friday morning and it was a bit dark out so i grabbed one of those obnoxious led blinking lights and placed it squarely on the front side of my bright yellow Brooks Night life coat, and lit the front of me up with bright red LED goodness. Storm ( my dog) and I took the run easy, as the roads were a bit snowy and icey. About a mile in, I saw a car backing out of the driveway and I knew right away he did not see me. I stopped and allowed him to back up. All of a sudden the car lurched to a stop. I think the presence of my dog and I standing there with only a few between us and the car, must have scared him, cause he just sat there blocking the road staring at us. This was not my first run in with a car that didn't see me nor will it by my last.

Don't assume
Never assume anyone sees you. Good running form says to look straight ahead, good advice if only to see that car backing out of their driveway or not moving over if your sharing the road. Even though you may have the right away doesn't mean you need to go toe to toe with a 2000 car, you wont win.

Light up my life
Be sure to have a some kind of light on you, if only to give cars a better chance to see you. Head lamp, bright LED blinky light etc. Most running gear has some kind of reflective material on it.. 

Be Alert
Being alert of your situation is key. Take responsibility for your own safety. Did you know that the cross walk are for cars? Me either, but I have had it more than once being in the middle of the crosswalk and getting dirty look from a driver trying to turn the corner. Point is just be alert to what is happening around you. Maybe one ear bud is enough? I saw a news article that some areas are making it against the law for a runner to have music in both ears.

Call me please
Take a cell phone with you. I personally do not take one on runs shorter than 10 miles simply I have no place to put it. Once I hit about 10 i tend to carry water in my Amphipod belt. And my Amphipod has a zip pouch that I place my phone in. (in a zip lock bag).

Sometime I feel i could be lit up like a Christmas tree and no one would still see me. Don't assume and Run safe

0 comments:

Post a Comment