Monday, February 7, 2011

"The Long Run" a definite good read

A New York city Freighter's Triumphant comeback from a crash victim to Elite Athlete. 

This past Saturday my dad stopped by my store with an excerpt from The Long Run by Matt Long he had printed off.  While I don't typically take my Dad up on his reading suggestions, I said I would read it. I  brushed it off until after my Sunday morning run, I picked up his printed pages and gave it a read.

However, This excerpt was a little different than the one I had seen in Runners World   After heading home after church, I grabbed my Kindle and downloaded the book. (A nerd, I know but I love my Kindle) With in seconds I was hooked deep into this book and read the entire book this past Sunday afternoon, page after page flew by, shaping a story of a man who had qualified for Boston among years of triathlons and running races , when the unthinkable happened. Hit by bus while riding his bike to work because of a Transit strike. The book details the long journey to recovery, the long recovery to new man.  All his challenges and personal demons along the way is enough to inspire most of us try harder. After finishing this book, it certainly made me think twice about complaining on a run ever again. My sore muscles or blistered toe pales in comparison to Matt's torturous injuries .

Runner, Firefighter or not I highly recommend this book.

Check the Video for the book Here


1 comments:

Running is a Metaphor said...

I don't normally read my dad's suggestions either. ; ) Sounds like a good book.

Post a Comment