Tuesday, February 1, 2011

#cm11 registration open

My cell rang at lunch time and it was none other that Michael Chitwood from Team World Vision calling to tell me that Chicago Marathon registration opened but the race is said to be selling out even faster this year. I must say running for TWV was a great experience and I enjoyed every minute of it.

It all started with a sermon I heard in church based on the The hole in our gospel series, the particular sermon that moved me was one based on water, and how little money it takes to bring water to those who have to walk several miles just for a jug full. Another church in the area did a life size diorama of the life of 5 African children. Walking through that stirred another cord with me.   I was going to run a marathon anyway but for a completely different reason. Around the same time I saw in our church bulletin that a group from our church is teaming with TWV to run the Chicago Marathon.  I signed up.

Before I knew it I was off training and collecting donations to help lives in Africa. I was no longer training for me I was training for things like water, food, education, for basic care. I was suddenly part of something bigger than myself. Did I win Chicago? um not even close. But I did finish with a team of orange and finished with a sense of accomplishment, and made some new friends along the way. Little did I know I would be asked to speak in front of church, which if you know me, its really not my thing.

I encourage you to run for a cause, and be a part of even a small bit of change. It doesn't have to be a marathon either it can be a short fun run /walk or 5k. Tons of non for profits are turning to hosting runs to raise money, raise awareness, and get their message out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment