Friday, February 4, 2011

Time to Play

Do kids need recess? 
Do you?

In going through my emails and twitter updates this morning, with a hot cup of coffee, I came across the above question. Attached to those questions was a link from a TED talk by Jill Vialet of Play Works. While normally I wouldn't think to watch a 17 minute video ( my attention span is shorter than that). The question seemed to stick with me. Thanks Becky Worley. Seeing my kids be refreshed this am after two snow days says to me that weekends are not always enough to recharge their batteries.
After watching it occurred to me that I use running as my play, and that not only kids need playtime, we adults need it too. When I run sometimes I get so deep in thought I loose track of a lot of miles, that is my therapy. A serious runner might scoff and say thats your runners high and you really need to focus. Do you?   I am not Ryan Hall so i dare bet me vegging into deep into thought won't make me win or loose anything, or put me any further behind the top finishers.  Heading out on that run <insert your activity here> makes me a better person to live with and work with, that much I know. What does it do for you? or the Better question, What can it do for you?

We all talk about our busy lives, and how there is just not time to do "everything". Not sure what your house looks like but mine is filled with swimming, karate, piano, homework, etc. I encourage you to take, if only a few minutes, to play. Head out for that run, or walk and take your kids with you as well.

/end philosophy 101

See you out there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment